Taking kids on playdates

My current nanny has recommended to me a couple of times now that it would be nice to be able to bring the kids (we have 2) on a couple of playdates to the park near our home. She has said that she also knows a couple of nannies that are not too far away that may be interested. I’m just a little worried since my kids haven’t really had any playdates before and I’m not sure how they would react. Does anybody else have these kind of concerns?

Don’t worry about this too much. Playdates let your kids socialize and make new friends, it’s a good thing!

as a nanny, i love taking the kids on playdates. it let’s everyone get out of the house and have some fun!

From my 18 years of experience I have found that children who are encouraged to participate in group activities and educational outings from an early age tend to have exceptionally better social skills. Most children start showing major improvements in regards to vocabulary and comprehension within the first few weeks. Often these “play dates” will make them more willing to try new things (eg broccoli and brussel sprouts) in an attempt to emulate their new peers.
Nanny groups are usually very organized and controlled. As nannies, we are extremely protective of the children we care for and always have our eyes open for potentially dangerous situations as well as the occasional wallflower that may need a little help conquering those new friend jitters. A large number of young ones have fears and anxieties that can be difficult to overcome but it is very important that we figure out a way to help them manage the issue without feeding into the behavior.