What major will help find better jobs?

I work for a great family now and they are helping me with getting my degree. I want to have a bachlelors degree in hopes it will help me find a better nanny job. My question is does it matter what type of education I major in? My local college only offers elementary and secondary education degree. I know a lot of parents want to hire someone with early childhood education which is slightly different. Do you guys think it would matter?

5 Likes

I also want to be a nanny and only have a Bachelor of Arts in English. For me, I was looking at getting certified for CPR since a lot of families find that to be important.

Also congrats on being able to work for such a great family!

1 Like

:wave: I think any kind of childhood education will help you in your nanny career. I’d be thrilled to employ a caregiver who had taken steps learn more about how to help teach my kids, so I wouldn’t worry about that. If you want to work in a daycare or school, ECE is the way to go.

2 Likes

@sillygooseguss I think it’s great that you’re looking to improve your education :open_book:! When my family was looking to hire a nanny we saw a lot of resumes/profiles for nannies and we liked reading the ones that said they had some kind of childhood education. Hope this helps :smile:

1 Like

Hi! I just graduated with my BA in Child Development and Family studies. I personally think this is great for nannies (which I currently am) because not only does it teach you about children varying in age, it also teaches about the family dynamics. Which help because we work with many families :slight_smile:

4 Likes

BA in Child Development and Family Studies sounds so useful! From the brief search our family has done, since we’re considering a nanny instead of daycare, we’ve found that there are a few candidates who include that they have educational backgrounds as ECE workers. That also sounds great